Promises, Promises

One of the reasons that I write poetry is that it has a tendency to come back to me in key moments. Just a line that reminds me of something that I need to remember, like music often comes back into our heads when we need it. I write things down to help me work through difficult situations. Like the time that someone does not keep their word. It can be heart breaking, but it reminds me of the first few lines of this poem that I wrote 4-5 years ago. Maybe it will help someone else too. So, I will share it.

Promises, promises,
Empty words.
Man’s empty promises,
Heart’s hope defers.

God’s promises,
He never regrets,
Changes His mind,
Or ever forgets.

What He has spoken
He will not take back.
Set your heart on it,
Rest in His task.

He did not speak rashly
Nor vow it in haste,
Nor try to appease.
Words He’ll not waste.

If you are disappointed,
If your heart is sick.
Do not be discouraged,
To His plans He will stick.

His plans, they will prosper,
He will have success.
What he has purposed,
That he has blessed.

It’s not been so long, soul,
Be patient and wait.
Slow down, anxious steps,
He will delegate.

Don’t count, but count on it,
It will come in a while,
Do not rush, do not hurry,
He can change the sundial.

Don’t bother to guess,
You really can know, son.
When He wrote, it is written.
When He said, it is done.

Have no doubt, do not stress.
You cannot make it true.
You must only believe.
And He, He will prove.

So ask God for a promise,
Put His Word to the test,
He will open heaven’s windows.
He will pour out His best.

Lydia Meier
February 2012

Comments

Popular Posts