What do I deserve?

I am choosing to start this new blog with a peom that that I wrote five years ago at the request of a friend. It is still one of my favorites. It is important to me because it is what puts the frustrations of every day life into perspective; the perspective of eternity. I take my eyes off of me and put them on Him and I remember that no matter my accomplishments, the only thing that I deserved was death.


The Dying Tree (Hungman)

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 2 corinthians 7:10

The blanks of my life, of my unspoken dreams... filled and completed in one man.
The man, Christ Jesus. Come down from the heavens to hang, broken on a “dying” tree. Slain and cut, its form remade to hang the man by nails though his feet and his hands. Blood sealing the wood, painting it red and by this it was finished.

Here I was. Hanging with this man on the tree. I was dead already.
I felt none of His pain. I did not weep. I did not sweat. I did not dread.
Kneeling at his feet... his mother’s pain was so much greater than mine.
And yet my chest grows tight at the thought, “He did this all for me.”

Oh sorrow of sorrows, saddest of sadness.. oh for the bitterest of tears...
I mourn this death as I would my own soul.
I weep for the price that he paid and see in my hands the guilt, the spade that dug this hole and erected in it a cross.
And yet I regret nothing that has been done, for it was not my doing, but his choice to come.

Live a new life powered by this grace. Repent and follow his ways.
Live his life on perpetuated ever by the thought, “that could have been you,” and “It should have been me hanging on that dying tree.”

By Lydia Meier
2010

Comments

Popular Posts